Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hello Smartphone! Where have you been all my life?

 I recently read an article entitled 10 Ways to Get the Most out of Technology and it motivated me to back up my words with action.  I can't preach "Technology in the Schools" and certainly not "1:1 Handheld Devices for all Students" if I'm not using the very technology I claim to support. I finally broke down and got myself a smartphone last weekend.  WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG?  I don't know how I ever lived without it! 

I continually find myself resistant to change and clinging to my old ways of doing things.  I waited until 2005 to get a cell phone and it was late 2008 before I sent my first text.  I had convinced myself that I didn't need them because I had lived without them my entire life.  That's ridiculous!  I realize this is normal, but I'm frustrating myself.  Technology is amazing and I'm not being as productive as an individual or as useful as an educator if I don't break this pattern. 

I recently discovered dropbox.com.  Another piece of technology I can't believe I ever lived without.  It allows me to have important documents and other files on any device - including my new phone!  Once I begin teaching, I hope to have technology be such a huge part of the teaching and learning that occurs in my classroom that I will ask, "How did schools function without it?"

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I too have just got myself a smartphone and have no idea how I lived without it! I was always annoyed at how much it costs to have a phone living in Australia so it took me 2 years to finally decide to sign up. Although I am still frustrated at the cost, that seems to be over shadowed by everything it does! Yesterday it entertained my group at the airport as I could tell them the where abouts of our plane and what planes were landing using plane finder!
    Thanks for a great post
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,

    I see you're participating in the edublog teacher challenge as well. Congrats on your blog and your commitment to being a lifelong learner.

    I'm also fairly new to blogging and still getting my head around all this Web 2.0 business. Good luck to both of us!

    What grades and subjects do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle
    I am also new at blogging and I love to learn as well, your blog is very clear, I began mine and get a little confussed with all the parts but yours is visual and it helped me organize mine, thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog from the Edublog Teacher Challenge. I too am a fellow learner, so I liked what you had to say about doing it for yourself and not for a grade.

    I chuckled about the smartphone because my husband makes fun of me since my iPhone goes with me everywhere. When we go on dates, I make sure I don't pick it up because it's difficult to put down.

    Congrats on working towards your Master's. That's fabulous. What specifically is your Master's in?

    ReplyDelete